55040Re: [scrumdevelopment] Burndown charts and late finishers

  • Bret Wortman
    May 8, 2012
      Ignore the ideal line -- it's a marketing tool created by the software tools because some customer demanded it. Ignore it, or demand that your software tool provider make it optional. In fact, if you search VersionOne's ideaspace, you'll find my own request for this feature and you can vote it up. </shamelessplug>.

      The ideal line only creates the impression that work should be progressing at some consistent rate, which is a myth. Photoshop it out if you have to, but don't let management think it's normal or expected.

      Bret Wortman

      On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Steve Ropa <theropas@...> wrote:

      +1

      This is a very normal burndown. I for one hate the ideal line, as I've seen too many teams chase this phantasm. This leads them to want to do the "traditional" PM thing of changing reality to match the chart, rather than let the chart be a dispassionate view of reality.

      Kurt Häusler &lt;kurt.haeusler@...&gt; wrote:

      No its fine. Ideal lines are not really recommended anyway. The curve
      on your chart is pretty normal.

      On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Simon Morris <mozrat@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >

      > I mainly wanted to introduce myself to the group as a newbie but also ask
      > a quick question.
      >
      > I've been following the group for a while and I find the insights really
      > valuable. Thanks for the time you spend on this community.
      >
      > So - in our sprints we consistently start slow and have a big finish. You
      > can see our latest burndown chart here.
      >
      > https://plus.google.com/105300838558555602864/posts/LMfs4LmkEzJ
      >
      > This isn't necessarily a problem as we ship features on time and with the
      > correct quality, but it is always a slight feeling of panic as we drift away
      > from the "Ideal" line.
      >
      > I don't really want to push the group to start stronger as we consistently
      > deliver successfully and putting more effort into the first couple of days
      > would just serve to make the chart prettier.
      >
      > Does anyone else see this as a warning sign - maybe I should just stop
      > checking the burndown chart in the first half of the sprint :-)
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Simon

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic