54941Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Looking for Advise on Standup, burndown, and tracking progress

  • Mark Levison
    Apr 16, 2012
      Tony - I've only time to write a short reply and you deserve a lengthy one. Some observations. You comment that we evangelize and are dogmatic. Perhaps, but its also our experience of what works best in these situations. Its funny you said you wanted to hire a coach. Some of the best in the business offer their help for free, the same advice you could pay for :-). If you don't like the advice pay me for a week, but the advice won't likely change much, I will just be gentle.

      Your options
      1. Keep down your current path, work overtime and accumulate Technical Debt (please introduce your Management to the idea see:    http://www.infoq.com/articles/technical-debt-levison and http://agilepainrelief.com/notesfromatooluser/2012/02/scrummaster-talesstop-digging-new-holes.html - blatant self promotion). My experience says that once you've done more than one week of overtime you become less productive than if you just worked normal hours.
      2. I've never built a product where we really knew what we needed up front, Scrum works to help discover this as fast as possible. However Scrum only works if the Product Owner does their job well, prioritizes and prunes the Product Backlog. Constantly seeks input from the customers to ensure that they're building the right product.
      3. In your case why not release Software every two weeks and get feedback from real customers? Certain you're not ready? See: Elizabeth Hendrickson on  http://testobsessed.com/blog/2011/04/23/minimally-viable/ how she discovered new directions for her site entaggle.
      4. Replace the Product Owner with someone who is prepared to engage (sometimes a great tactic).
      Yes I'm being blunt and pushy, its only because time is short and I have small business to run. Answering questions on this forum doesn't help my students or clients. Net result you get brief feedback.

      On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM, tony_t_tubbs <tony_t_tubbs@...> wrote:

      Can't say that for sure. It could mean we are still getting paid on June 2nd though. :D

      I've suggested we get a coach to work with us on becoming a mature scrum team/organization. As it is, we send folks to 2 day CSM training and then it's trial by fire. Though I believe we have the right folks in all the proper rolls (except for maybe a proper PO), and we all share a desire to do it 'right', it's just slow going as we are teams of mostly people new to this process.

      One of the things I personally struggle with, and what I think your comment is getting to, is how to manage the theory of 'the book' with the reality of the situation. If the PO says 'The agreement is A, B and C must be done by June 1, you figure out how to get it done', then you figure it out, yes?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > Hi Tony,
      > On Apr 16, 2012, at 1:27 PM, tony_t_tubbs wrote:
      > > Because this is a POC with a fair amount of R&D involved, it is hard to say if we can get things done without overtime or not. The gut feel is that there is a risk that we cannot
      > And you feel that overtime will actually make you get done, and done better?
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > There's no word for accountability in Finnish.
      > Accountability is something that is left when responsibility has been subtracted.
      > --Pasi Sahlberg

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic