54934Re: Looking for Advise on Standup, burndown, and tracking progress

  • tony_t_tubbs
    Apr 16, 2012
      We have done these things. It's even happened that our management got a sense of the technical debt that had built up so the past couple of sprints have been a concerted effort to bring that down. All without us as developers even asking.

      As I just explained in a reply to Ron, we feel we've exhausted all avenues of help and scoped things down to the minimum we need to enter the market. I did not intend to imply management was dismissive. We feel we have more support from this management structure for following an agile process more than any we've done before (we are spinning up a new division in the financial market)

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Burrows <andy@...> wrote:

      > Hey Tony,
      >
      > It seems like you know that you're going to need to work overtime to
      > complete this work... would you agree with that? It also sounds like your
      > team is willing to do whatever and improve and strive to be better, which
      > is fantastic.
      >
      > The reason I originally asked about sprint review was that I'd recommend
      > establishing these meetings and inviting all those managers who count your
      > hours. I would ask them to evaluate your product and direction. Instead of
      > looking at it in terms of "you are 20 hours behind where you said you would
      > be, we need another engineer", have them bring the discussion around to "I
      > like this part of the product, in a week from now do you think we can be
      > here? What about if we add a resource?" I would focus their attention on
      > the product that is being built, and tracking progress that way.
      >
      > As far as what your PO says about getting A,B and C done by a certain
      > date... sure, you can figure out how to get it done. You can get anything
      > done by June 1st without working overtime. It may not be what the PO wants,
      > though. If your PO is really being as dismissive as it seems in your
      > statement, I would guess that your PO knows you can't do it without
      > considerable overtime and would rather you come to the decision of working
      > late without them having to ask you to.
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM, tony_t_tubbs <tony_t_tubbs@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Can't say that for sure. It could mean we are still getting paid on June
      > > 2nd though. :D
      > >
      > > I've suggested we get a coach to work with us on becoming a mature scrum
      > > team/organization. As it is, we send folks to 2 day CSM training and then
      > > it's trial by fire. Though I believe we have the right folks in all the
      > > proper rolls (except for maybe a proper PO), and we all share a desire to
      > > do it 'right', it's just slow going as we are teams of mostly people new to
      > > this process.
      > >
      > > One of the things I personally struggle with, and what I think your
      > > comment is getting to, is how to manage the theory of 'the book' with the
      > > reality of the situation. If the PO says 'The agreement is A, B and C must
      > > be done by June 1, you figure out how to get it done', then you figure it
      > > out, yes?
      > >

      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Tony,

      > > to say if we can get things done without overtime or not. The gut feel is
      > > that there is a risk that we cannot
      > > >

      > > > And you feel that overtime will actually make you get done, and done
      > > better?
      > > >
      > > > Ron Jeffries
      > > > www.XProgramming.com
      > > > There's no word for accountability in Finnish.
      > > > Accountability is something that is left when responsibility has been
      > > subtracted.
> [...]
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic