54926Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Looking for Advise on Standup, burndown, and tracking progress

  • Bret Wortman
    Apr 16, 2012
      I may be alone here, but... POC? Definition in this context, please? I can't get past "Point Of Contact".

      Bret Wortman

      On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM, tony_t_tubbs <tony_t_tubbs@...> wrote:

      Because this is a POC with a fair amount of R&D involved, it is hard to say if we can get things done without overtime or not. The gut feel is that there is a risk that we cannot.

      Sprint review is another struggle, but we do talk about what went well and what didn't. The things that didn't so far seem to fit into one of two categories - environment or standups. We are slowing addressing items in both cases, but these still are the biggest areas of impact.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Burrows <andy@...> wrote:

      > Hey Tony,
      >
      > Are the total story points for all the work that needs to be done by June
      > 1st possible with the existing team without working overtime? If so, I'd
      > work on helping management track your team's progress through your build
      > iterations. Could you describe your current sprint review process?
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM, tony_t_tubbs <tony_t_tubbs@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Management's desire has been and is to use ScrumWorks so they can run
      > > reports so they can see progress. The team often feels like this is forcing
      > > a tool that doesn't always fit. Our current situation is a POC sprint that
      > > has a lot of R&D to do. We do not know hours like we might otherwise. We
      > > have estimated story points relative to each other. We know when we start,
      > > and we know when and what MUST be done - a functioning POC of specific key
      > > concepts and business functions by June 1 as proof we can do a full
      > > implementation.
      > >
      > > Really, the POC containing the stories we've identified MUST be done.
      > > Whatever that takes. Longer hours or what not. The management wants hours
      > > in scrumworks so they can see if we are on track or not. I've suggested
      > > burndown only stores, or perhaps story points. (Which doesn't fit into
      > > ScrumWorks reporting I guess) They claim this is too high level to make
      > > adjustments, that being off track will not show in the chart until it's too
      > > late. By then longer hours or adding people or whatever will just be too
      > > late.
      > >
      > > Note that I personally, and expect many of you, would put this scenario
      > > into ScrumButt category. Assuming there's nothing I can do about that for
      > > the moment, please advise what I can actually do to best meet the
      > > needs/desires. If it can be done in a way that could convince management
      > > there's a better way, then all the better for me and my fellow developers.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > TT
      > >

      > --
      > Andrew Burrows