54869Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Implementation for Re-Engineering projects

  • David Roncancio
    Apr 12, 2012
      I asked something like this before, and got a lot of great responses if you dont mind searching for it i recommend it, what i got from that thread is treat your project as a new project and build a backlog out of your existing project, we even did some DDD which was an awesome exercise to document the existing project concepts, and helped us put together some initial design, to have like an architecture goal.

      We also put together a strategy to "strangle" the old system, having a "legacy layer" to connect legacy interfaces with new system and going to implement some of each iteration, since we are not delivering "new" to customers and was mainly a project to reduce technical debt, we also include automated tests to each part we are migrate to reduce the risk of having huge impact on customers.

      Hope anything of this help you

      David Roncancio
      (+57) 3014311354

      On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

      On 12 Apr 2012, at 08:50, animgpt wrote:

      > I am looking for information on implementing scrum on re-engineering projects.
      > My project has a legacy code without any documentation. Code needs to be read, understood, and recoded in a newer technology.

      If your team doesn't already have a copy I would *strongly* recommend getting everybody to read Michael Feathers' "Working Effectively with Legacy Code". Chock full of excellent advice.

      > I don't have a product backlog, no idea of estimate for each module, etc. unless code is digged into.
      > I am finding lots of difficulties in implementing scrum on such a project.
      > Anyone who has used scrum on similar project, please suggest.

      Why does it need to be moved to the new technology? How is the move happening? Does everything need to be launched at one time? Basically - start digging into the business reasons for the move.

      Once you have more of an understanding of those they'll hopefully give you some clues as to how you can approach it incrementally, which will in turn let you start having a conversation with the PO about producing a prioritised backlog.

      Can you talk about a specific example? That might let people give more useful feedback.

      Cheers,

      Adrian