54658Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Pointing debt stories

  • Sean Corfield
    Apr 1, 2012
      On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:54 PM, trudelle <trudelle@...> wrote:

      A rational PO will work with the team to strike the right balance in paying down debt over time. If some legacy debt needs to be paid down now, you should be able to justify the business case. If you can't trust the PO to make such decisions, you may have the wrong PO.

      As you might expect, I agree with you, but I think most POs are not rational...

      I'd be suspicious of teams working away on hidden tech debt, because some engineers are happy to work on things they think should be changed, regardless of whether it is in the best interests of the business to do so.

      Again, I agree. I think that it's easier to keep engineers focused on refactoring and cleanup that _needs_ to be done when it's tracked as part of the project, as opposed to risking them doing busy work that satisfies an itch. Yes, I know, there's an emphasis on professionalism and teams being self-organizing etc etc. I find it interesting that so much respect is given to the engineers to "do the right thing" yet when we talk about technical debt, no one seems to want to trust a PO to do the right thing and prioritize work to reduce technical debt?

      Don't you think that's a bit hypocritical?
      --
      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

      "Perfection is the enemy of the good."