54238Need to keep track of events during the sprints and through the whole project

  • Victoria Thompson
    Feb 12, 2012
      Hello!

      I have a doubt about the need for tracking events that occur during sprints and ultimately through the whole project.

      I am scrum master in a large company that is still not fully agile.  I have to report the sprint progress to a project manager, along with any difficulties or other events outside of our control (e.g. difficulties with infra-structure that impede use of the server, absences of team members, reasons for reestimation when necessary, waiting times when dependent on other teams, like, for example, the final testing team or shared database team).  We are using scrum with the development teams, but we have business analysts and testers outside the team, complemented by project managers who deal with these outside members and the customer (we are trying to develop POs, but so far they have been informal - usually an analyst or someone close to the customer).

      Usually when the project ends or if the project has a long duration, people outside the team, especially the project managers, forget many things that happened along the way.  I have got to a point where I have to practically note down daily events, in case there is a future need to justify what happened during the project (mostly any changes in the iron triangle parameters: scope, cost and time).  I know this should not be a problem in an organization using scrum properly (where communication should flow easily and there should be an atmosphere of mutual trust), but I would like to know if any of you have a similar difficulty in organizations transitioning to scrum and what you did to overcome the problem.  Even when scrum is running smoothly, what kind of information do you usually keep track of, in the role of scrum master?

      Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

      Vicky
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic