54235Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Working with people and teams

  • Victoria Thompson
    Feb 12, 2012
      Hello Jack,

      Yes, I agree with you that coaching is essential for the teams, especially new ones.  I realize I have to improve in that aspect and have been reading a lot of material on the subject to be more helpful to the teams.  Do you have suggestions of articles, blogs, books, etc that could help me with that?  So far, I have read Lyssa's book "Coaching Agile Teams" which is a very useful guide.  I feel I need to know a lot myself so that I can help my teams, but it is something that takes time.  I am trying to influence people in my teams and also in other teams or departments, to study agile practices that interest them so that we can exchange knowledge.  I have a limit to the amount of information I can absorb and pass on, so until I have had time to read a few more books, participate in events and trainings, I am trying to parallelize the knowledge gain.  It seems to be having an effect.  I am planning also on doing several short presentations to interest more people to get on the learning track.  I hope to be able in the future to coach 20 teams as you do!

      Kind Regards,
      Vicky

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

      So here's my advice. If you leave a new scrum team to fend for themselves, it's not going to go well. I have found that the best way is to coach the team through the learning curve slowly relinquishing control. There's a lot to learn and it takes time for teams to get used to this new way of working.

      But I urge you to coach the teams. Play more of a facilitative role, help them through the issues.

      Be the guiding light. I manage 20 Scrum teams and still continue to coach the teams and provide input where required. But way less now that they have the hang of it.

      Jack
      www.agilebuddy.com

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Victoria Thompson <vickysp@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I am new to the group and I am interested in discussing certain
      > difficulties I have found in applying scrum and agile principles.
      >
      > What has been worrying me recently is how to effectively get a team to be
      > self-organized and ultimately self-managed. Despite that many people on
      > the project signal they like this approach, they do not collaborate for
      > this result. As scrum master, I feel that I should help them attain this
      > level of teamwork, but I believe that some people's individual values and
      > maturity levels conflict with this. Has anyone had to deal with a
      > situation like this? Is it necessary to have some level of command-control
      > and graduallly reduce it as the team matures to attain self-organization?
      > I don't like the idea of doing that because that is not what is expected
      > from a scrum master and it goes against my own values, so I am a bit at a
      > loss about how to go about improving the team, which seems not mature
      > enough to self-organize even with when given the information and tools
      > necessary to achieve that.
      >
      > Victoria Thompson

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic