54232RE: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Thoughts by General George S. Patton

  • Steve Ropa
    Feb 29, 2012

      You know, it goes even further than that.  Not only did we have “daily standups” in each department, but also at the beginning of the day, all of us officers would assemble on the fantail for “officers’ call”, which was absolutely a Scrum of Scrums.

      From: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I
      Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:02 AM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Thoughts by General George S. Patton

      I was in ROTC in college(Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, to be specific), and learned a few things about military leadership there.

      I've often thought that Scrum was just a way of describing what the military calls "good leadership."  Even in the military(based on my studies and my friends who are current officers), command and control is a niche leadership style that is used rarely, and a more "highly delegative" style is used the vast majority of the time.

      I also found it interesting that when I visited once of my Navy buddy's ships, he and his sailors were having a "daily standup" when I showed up.

      Jeff Sutherland was prior military, so I've always wondered how much of what he learned in the military was applied to Scrum.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      http://www.ScrumCrazy.com