      From: Michael James <mj4scrum@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, 29 February 2012 1:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Thoughts by General George S. Patton

      Great quotes.  Most people don't know Patton was one of the Agile Manifesto authors.  You can sort of see him in the photo if you squint.

      --mj

      On Feb 28, 2012, at 11:27 AM, woynam wrote:

      I never realized how much agility drove "Old Blood and Guts".

      On team empowerment:

      "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton

      On management by walking around:

      "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

      On good enough planning:

      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton

      On the drawbacks of a rigid process:

      "Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity." - General George S. Patton

      On the value of people over tools:

      "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." - General George S. Patton

      On teams:

      "An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." - General George S. Patton

      On the dangers of over-specialization:

      "Many soldiers are led to faulty ideas of war by knowing too much about too little." - General George S. Patton

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic