      From: JackM <jack@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, 21 January 2012 4:53 AM
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Size of team a barrier to SCRUM and Agile

      What many managers don't understand is that one of the most wasteful things is multi-tasking. In lean thinking they call this a transportation cost or a switching cost. Every time the developer drops what he or she is doing and picks up on something new, he has to relearn what he did and takes time to pick up where he left off. It's not a very efficient way to work. All of the experts will agree on this.

      Now it's not always possible in companies to have dedicated focused teams, I understand that. Never the less Scrum Masters should strive to get to this point. There are charts in Mary Popendiecks book that indicated the effects of multi-tasking as well as sheduling teams to capacity.

      Now how to deliver this message to your manager is a different story. Perhaps get him to read Mary Poppendiek's book on Lean and in particular the 7 wastes in software development.

      Hope this helps
      Jack
      www.agilebuddy.com

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frymyer <mfrymyer@...> wrote:

      > I am a project manager and I work for an IT department that has 5
      > developers. Those 5 developers are working on 4 - 5 projects at any given
      > time. They are also responsible for support and maintenance.
      >
      > My CIO is very frustrated with the fact that they are unable to provide goo
      > levels of efforts for their work. This leads to late deliverables. He is
      > also pushing us very hard toward Agile methods thinking that will fix all
      > of our problems.
      >
      > A typical development timeframe for the vast majority of our products is
      > between 40 and 400 hours. This is for .NET and Business Objects reporting.
      >
      > I have taken the SCRUMMaster classes and from all that I see you need to
      > have
      dedicated teams to a specific work effort. This is due in large part
      > that a developer needs to be present at all times; such as during the User
      > Story definition and then decomposing the User Stories into more
      > detailed requirements during the development or SPRINT.
      >
      > I have been trying to capture the detailed requirements for the backlog to
      > eliminate the need tp have a developer spend time with the customer, but my
      > boss says I am taking too long on the requirements (usually about 30 hours
      > in as coompressed a time span as schedules will allow).
      >
      > I am looking for suggestions on what I may be doing wrong and how I might
      > be able to utilize Agile without a dedicated development team to each
      > effort.
      >
      > Mike

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional