53977Re: Size of team a barrier to SCRUM and Agile

  • scrumnoob
    Jan 25, 2012
      I introduced Scrum to a company that had challenges around "developers never finish anything" "I dont know where the work is getting done" "what are the developers doing with their time"

      One of the problems was context switching and constant re-prioritization.

      After some difficult conversations around priorities for the next 10 days, the team worked in 2 week sprint on some stuff that didnt change. Guess what? 2 weeks later they could release some changes and make a difference for _some_ customers.

      I promised the owner he would see his most important stuff delivered in 10 days. I sent him a photo of the scrum board each day. I promised him he could prioritise all the product backlog stuff has much as he wanted in the meantime. All he had to do was leave the team alone for 10 days.

      Guess what? It worked. The owner was delighted with the approach and started to trust his stuff would "just get done".

      It wasnt easy at the start though, and as mentioned involved some tough love. The key for me was I understood the owners problems/frustrations and I told him how we could remove them.

      Loved the "tough love" post BTW.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frymyer <mfrymyer@...> wrote:

      > I am a project manager and I work for an IT department that has 5
      > developers. Those 5 developers are working on 4 - 5 projects at any given
      > time. They are also responsible for support and maintenance.
      >
      > My CIO is very frustrated with the fact that they are unable to provide goo
      > levels of efforts for their work. This leads to late deliverables. He is
      > also pushing us very hard toward Agile methods thinking that will fix all
      > of our problems.
      >
      > A typical development timeframe for the vast majority of our products is
      > between 40 and 400 hours. This is for .NET and Business Objects reporting.
      >
      > I have taken the SCRUMMaster classes and from all that I see you need to
      > have dedicated teams to a specific work effort. This is due in large part
      > that a developer needs to be present at all times; such as during the User
      > Story definition and then decomposing the User Stories into more
      > detailed requirements during the development or SPRINT.
      >
      > I have been trying to capture the detailed requirements for the backlog to
      > eliminate the need tp have a developer spend time with the customer, but my
      > boss says I am taking too long on the requirements (usually about 30 hours
      > in as coompressed a time span as schedules will allow).
      >
      > I am looking for suggestions on what I may be doing wrong and how I might
      > be able to utilize Agile without a dedicated development team to each
      > effort.
      >
      > Mike

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic