53473Re: Neverending Stories

  • mcleaper
    Dec 4, 2011
      I never liked having these kinds of activities as stories and it is my belief that they are hold overs from the command and control way of thinking (everything the team does must be planned and recorded and it must add up to at least 40 hours per week per person or they will goof off). The PBI was not meant to be used as a time tracker but if the team is comfortable with it and adding that story helps them estimate how many other stories they can handle during the sprint then I would let it be.

      -M

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Rome wasn't built in a day. :)
      >
      > It's progress to have only one of our teams on full time support (they all rotate on and off over time), freeing the other teams for new product development.
      >
      > These systems are tricky, a complex Rube Goldberg integration of home grown and external vendor products. Bleeding edge technology, completely integrated global file-based video workflow (satellite, FTP, distributed metadata, editing growing HD video files. etc., and a 30 petabyte digital library). It's another interesting and non-trivial discussion as to how much constitutes overbuilding (vs Lean) belts and braces around these systems. For example, with a video render farm we are using, the servers will choke occasionally on some kinds of video and it's up to us to figure out why, under the pressure sometimes of a breaking news event. I feel sorry for those of you working on yet another ERP or e-commerce web site. :)
      >
      > On Dec 2, 2011, at 9:41 PM, Michael James wrote:
      >
      > > On Dec 2, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Michael Wollin wrote:
      > >
      > >> I guess I can give that up. It's a zero point story anyway. I just thought it violated the semantics of "user story." However, it IS a convenient way to track emergent work, which is a third to half of what this team does.
      > >
      > > Triage doesn't sound much like a user story to me either, but there's never been a rule in Scrum that all PBIs have to be user stories.
      > >
      > > Since no one likes fixing operational issues all the time, and interruptions impede your product development, I suppose your longer term goal is to address the quality issues that are probably causing them?
      > >
      > > --mj

      > > /docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic