53459Re: [leanagile] Scrum without a ScrumMaster

  • ag12340@rocketmail.com
    Dec 3, 2011
      Thank you Andrew and Alan. I agree.

      >>"explicit workflow policies so everybody knows the rules of the game so to speak of the team."

      I do not understand this. Is there an blog or article you can refer me to which has some practical examples of workflow policies in Scrum/Kanban?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Pham <andrewpham74@...> wrote:

      > Alan,
      >
      > Excellent post! We are on the same page...
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > Author of *Scrum in Action**, Agile Project Management and Development in
      > the Real-World*
      > http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_
      > *1*<http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1>
      > -1
      >
      > and of *"Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban (Lean)
      > Implementation" **(reviewed and upcoming)*
      >

      > On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM, alshalloway <alshall@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I was asked this question by a viewer of my intro to kanban webinar.
      > >
      > > We are planning to use scrum with a pilot. Our company is small, so the
      > > scrum team is about 5 members. We cannot assign one person for Scrum Master
      > > and another one for Product Owner. Could we still apply scrum without Scrum
      > > Master?
      > >
      > > Do you have experiences in a similar scenario?
      > > ---------------------------------
      > >
      > > Yes, Scrum can still be used. In fact, Scrum is particularly useful for
      > > small teams like this. I would suggest reading The New New Product
      > > Development Game.
      > > http://www.sao.corvallis.or.us/drupal/files/The%20New%20New%20Product%20Development%20Game.pdf
      > > It is the article that inspired Scrum in the first place and provides
      > > great insights.
      > >
      > > I would suggest that the whoever is the current team lead now play the
      > > role of the Scrum Master (assuming it isn't the Product Owner as these two
      > > roles conflict at times.
      > >
      > > In my mind the role of the ScrumMaster is twofold:
      > > 1) help identify the challenges the team is having
      > > 2) do something about them
      > >
      > > The first requires the ability to step back and times and reflect. The
      > > standups and retrospections are supposed to do this, but, in my mind, are
      > > somewhat challenged in the ability to sustain this.
      > >
      > > A way to extend Scrum and lower the need of a ScrumMaster is to have
      > > explicit workflow policies so everybody knows the rules of the game so to
      > > speak of the team. These can change at any time, of course - and they will
      > > as you proceed down this path. This is a Kanban practice and is very
      > > valuable. If you further have this explicit workflow mirrored on the Scrum
      > > board (you now have a Kanban board) anyone on the team will easily see
      > > impacts. This somewhat diminishes the need for a ScrumMaster, but in my
      > > opinion, someone who acts as lead/coach of the team is always important.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps.
      > > Alan Shalloway
      > > CEO, Net Objectives

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic