52831Re: Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

  • JackM
    Oct 11, 2011
      Typically you estimate size in story points. Each story is weighted against the other stories in the backlog. So if your first story is a 2. Then the next story which is twice the size of that one let's say then you'd give that one a 5. Remember there is no 4 as you should use the modified fibonaci sequence 1,2,3,5,8,13,20,40,100. You can also ad 0, 0.5 if u wish.

      It's hard to get started though if you have never done this before so I recommend starting wit 1 pt = 1ideal day and then switch later on once you have a baseline. Remember to always compare when assigning points. It's always relative!

      Hope this helps
      Jack
      Www.agilebuddy.com

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jones <michaelhardwinjones@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > We're rolling out an agile process in my company, where waterfall processes
      > have been used up to now.
      >
      > I've been involved in a couple of discussions/debates with various folk here
      > (a product manager and a fellow PM) about the units developers should use to
      > estimate user stories in the sprint planning meeting. Specifically whether
      > to use ideal time (e.g. "1 ideal hour"), or relative scale (e.g. "about the
      > same as that registration form we did").
      >
      > I have my own views, but what are your thoughts? Are there any stand-out
      > benefits of either in your experience? Should we throw it as an open
      > question to our developers?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Michael

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic