52809RE: Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

  • m.babrawala@yahoo.com
    Oct 7, 2011
      From: Reinert
      Sent: 07/10/2011, 1:38 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

      Hi,

      There are a lot of advantages if you go for using only story points in your estimation of user stories. I.e. abondoning hours / time totally in all your estimates including (developer) tasks. If you are interested in more information, please check out www.rapidscrum.com. The link "AgileIndy Presentation: Hours are Dead" under "RESOURCES" gives you some more information. I've used many of the techniques he is describing and though they are quite unfamiliar, they are very powerful.

      Reinert

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jones <michaelhardwinjones@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > We're rolling out an agile process in my company, where waterfall processes
      > have been used up to now.
      >
      > I've been involved in a couple of discussions/debates with various folk here
      > (a product manager and a fellow PM) about the units developers should use to
      > estimate user stories in the sprint planning meeting. Specifically whether
      > to use ideal time (e.g. "1 ideal hour"), or relative scale (e.g. "about the
      > same as that registration form we did").
      >
      > I have my own views, but what are your thoughts? Are there any stand-out
      > benefits of either in your experience? Should we throw it as an open
      > question to our developers?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Michael

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic