52779Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [kanbandev] Improved Productivity after introducing Kanban to a team using Scrum

  • Andrew Pham
    Oct 6 12:14 PM

      On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM, ashish_wrt <traderashish@...> wrote:

      Hi David,

      Most people, in my experience, start their agile effort with Scrum or "Scrum but" and then evolve from it either towards XP, Kanban or mostly a tailored hybrid Agile process.

      Agile being adaptive, that's how it should be, keep improving and keep evolving.

      Last year I presented to Agile Open Socal 2010 of my own very positive experience in transitioning from Scrum to Kanban style.

      Hi Ashish,

      It is great to know that you had gone through some similar experiences in moving from Scrum to a Kanban-style process.

      Do you have a copy of your Agile Open Socal 2010 presentation in which you talked about how to move from Scrum to a Kanban style process to share with us?

      All my best,

      Andrew Pham
      Author of
      Scrum in Action (Agile Project Management and Software Development in the Real-World)

      and of "Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban Implementation" (upcoming)

      Keep sharing.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Pham <andrewpham74@...> wrote:
      > Thanks David for this great heads up!
      > Besides some small flaws in the way Charles' article is written, this is a
      > great article to see how a Scrum team was using Kanban to evolve Scrum to a
      > uniquely tailored process with impressive improvement in agility and
      > responsiveness to the business. It is, in many ways, quite similar to my own
      > experience which has led me to create a new process called the Soccer
      > Process Framework.
      > Thanks Charles for a great article!
      > All my best,
      > Andrew Pham
      > Author of *Scrum in Action** (Agile Project Management and Software
      > Development in the Real-World*)
      > http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_
      > *1*<http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1>
      > -1
      > and of *"Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban Implementation"
      > **(upcoming)*
      > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM, David Anderson <netherby_uk@...>wrote:
      > > **

      > > This new story from Charles Suscheck describes how a team used Kanban to
      > > evolve their Scrum process to a uniquely tailored process solution. The
      > > results are impressive though within the commonly reported range 300%
      > > "productivity" gain (measured as story points per person per week), and
      > > greatly improved agility and responsiveness to business needs.
      > >

      > > http://www.agilejournal.com/articles/columns/column-articles/6441-a-productivity-comparison-of-kanban-and-scrum
      > >
      > > There are a number of flaws in the way the article is written - the biggest
      > > of which is that the new process is described throughout as "Kanban" while
      > > in fact it was Kanban that was used to evolve a unique process solution. So
      > > the Scrum (before) versus Kanban (after) comparison is not accurately
      > > framed.
      > >
      > > A number of other things are notable as problems we've seen before. The
      > > author does not recognize that velocity and throughput are essentially
      > > equivalents. He also says that Kanban used "cycle time to measure
      > > throughput" which is somewhat bizarre but reflects things we've seen before
      > > such as "in Kanban we don't care about velocity we measure cycle time
      > > instead."
      > >
      > > Regardless of these minor flaws in the article, it's great to see thorough
      > > case studies like this, and we certainly need more of them.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > David

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic