52776Re: [kanbandev] Improved Productivity after introducing Kanban to a team using Scrum

  • Andrew Pham
    Oct 6 8:35 AM
      Thanks David for this great heads up!

      Besides some small flaws in the way Charles' article is written, this is a great article to see how a Scrum team was using Kanban to evolve Scrum to a uniquely tailored process with impressive improvement in agility and responsiveness to the business. It is, in many ways, quite similar to my own experience which has led me to create a new process called the Soccer Process Framework.

      Thanks Charles for a great article!

      All my best,

      Andrew Pham
      Author of
      Scrum in Action (Agile Project Management and Software Development in the Real-World)

      and of "Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban Implementation" (upcoming)

      On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM, David Anderson <netherby_uk@...> wrote:

      This new story from Charles Suscheck describes how a team used Kanban to evolve their Scrum process to a uniquely tailored process solution. The results are impressive though within the commonly reported range 300% "productivity" gain (measured as story points per person per week), and greatly improved agility and responsiveness to business needs.

      There are a number of flaws in the way the article is written - the biggest of which is that the new process is described throughout as "Kanban" while in fact it was Kanban that was used to evolve a unique process solution. So the Scrum (before) versus Kanban (after) comparison is not accurately framed.

      A number of other things are notable as problems we've seen before. The author does not recognize that velocity and throughput are essentially equivalents. He also says that Kanban used "cycle time to measure throughput" which is somewhat bizarre but reflects things we've seen before such as "in Kanban we don't care about velocity we measure cycle time instead."

      Regardless of these minor flaws in the article, it's great to see thorough case studies like this, and we certainly need more of them.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic