52716Re: [scrumdevelopment] Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Sep 27, 2011
      Just to make it more interesting, that's only half the question. The other half is: "what kind of size are we estimating, anyway?" Is it effort, or size? where size is quantity of product... like # of passing tests, Function Points, Use Case Points, etc. Personally, I prefer relative size, and I think that actual idealized effort is the worst one to use. (see chapter 3.7)

      Dan  ;-)

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, PMP, CST

      Author of Exploring Scrum: the Fundamentals,

           http://www.amazon.com/dp/1461160286

      On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Michael Jones <michaelhardwinjones@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      We're rolling out an agile process in my company, where waterfall processes have been used up to now.

      I've been involved in a couple of discussions/debates with various folk here (a product manager and a fellow PM) about the units developers should use to estimate user stories in the sprint planning meeting. Specifically whether to use ideal time (e.g. "1 ideal hour"), or relative scale (e.g. "about the same as that registration form we did").

      I have my own views, but what are your thoughts? Are there any stand-out benefits of either in your experience? Should we throw it as an open question to our developers?

      Thanks,
      Michael

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic