52711Re: Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

  • Steve
    Sep 27, 2011
      Hi Michael

      You wrote "... we also don't have a commonly-agreed measure of average performance (or velocity) between sprints (just a notion in our heads of what's reasonable, which may vary between team members"

      If the Team consistently complete stories that represent planning points that add up to a small variation about a mean number, how can it be possible that individual Tream memebers have differing views about what the velocity is?!!

      What units are you using for estimating the PBI?

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jones <michaelhardwinjones@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ron,
      >
      > I suppose over time, as a team, we would get a sense of how much work the
      > team can do in a sprint, at a very high level - for example "2 medium-weight
      > new features and 8 bug fixes". That's probably just as accurate as
      > meticulously adding up the micro-estimates for all the development items. Is
      > that what you're getting at? But by keeping things at such a high level we
      > may lose the ability to understand the rate at which the work is being done
      > during the sprint. And we also don't have a commonly-agreed measure of
      > average performance (or velocity) between sprints (just a notion in our
      > heads of what's reasonable, which may vary between team members).
      >
      > So the inclusion of *x *amount of work in a sprint may feel too arbitrary if
      > not backed up by numbers (i.e. that *x *bundle of work equates to e.g. 20
      > ideal hours, or to 20 story points etc). I do get the point though that
      > those estimates are ultimately arbitrary themselves.
      >
      > Look forward to your thoughts,
      > Michael
      >

      > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi Michael,
      > >
      > > On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Michael Jones wrote:
      > >
      > > So I guess by not having them we lose a sense of what and how much we can
      > > do in the coming sprint, and in our sprints in general.
      > >

      > > Is there some other way to have that "sense"?
      > >
      > > Ron Jeffries
      > > www.XProgramming.com <http://www.xprogramming.com>
      > > I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. -- Jessica Rabbit

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic