52701Re: [scrumdevelopment] Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

  • Michael Jones
    Sep 27, 2011
      Hi Ron,

      I suppose over time, as a team, we would get a sense of how much work the team can do in a sprint, at a very high level - for example "2 medium-weight new features and 8 bug fixes". That's probably just as accurate as meticulously adding up the micro-estimates for all the development items. Is that what you're getting at? But by keeping things at such a high level we may lose the ability to understand the rate at which the work is being done during the sprint. And we also don't have a commonly-agreed measure of average performance (or velocity) between sprints (just a notion in our heads of what's reasonable, which may vary between team members).

      So the inclusion of x amount of work in a sprint may feel too arbitrary if not backed up by numbers (i.e. that x bundle of work equates to e.g. 20 ideal hours, or to 20 story points etc). I do get the point though that those estimates are ultimately arbitrary themselves.

      Look forward to your thoughts,

      On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hi Michael,

      On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Michael Jones wrote:

      So I guess by not having them we lose a sense of what and how much we can do in the coming sprint, and in our sprints in general.

      Is there some other way to have that "sense"?
      I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.  -- Jessica Rabbit

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic