52698Re: [scrumdevelopment] Story point estimating - ideal time vs relative scale

  • Michael Jones
    Sep 27, 2011
      (just answering the second part of the question)

      So I guess by not having them we lose a sense of what and how much we can do in the coming sprint, and in our sprints in general.

      On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Michael Jones <michaelhardwinjones@...> wrote:
      Hi Ron,

      Well, prior to being tempted to reconsider by your questions, I would have said:

      The estimates are needed
      - to know which development items (and therefore which features) we can commit to delivering in the sprint.
      - to give a velocity for the sprint (at the end of the sprint).

      I guess the thinking is that the user stories are ball-park estimated, but when we decompose them in the meeting, more will be known about the specific approach so we can estimate with more accuracy. But maybe the ballpark accuracy is enough?

      Thanks again,

      On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hi Michael,

      On Sep 27, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Michael Jones wrote:

      Ah - I mean development items - the user stories are ballpark-estimated as they're added to the product backlog; then in the sprint planning meeting, they're decomposed by the developers into development items that make sense to them, and estimated by the developers at the same time.

      Is that nearer the mark?

      I'm wondering why you want to assign estimates to the items. What will those estimates give you? What would you lose if you didn't estimate them?