51799Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Technical Tasks in the Product Backlog

    Jul 2, 2011
      Hello, Kathleen. On Friday, July 1, 2011, at 9:47:13 AM, you
      wrote:

      > In some posts, there seems to be a focus on doing things 'by the
      > book', rather than exploring the possibilities of other concepts
      > or techniques that might be useful. It implies that the method is
      > the 'one true way' of doing things, and that you don't need to
      > learn anything else to be successful. Unfortunately, reality is
      > way too messy for that to be true.

      > To get really good at something, you need to go beyond mastery of
      > a given method (or words of a specific master). You need to learn
      > the underlying theory and principles (like what was mentioned
      > before), then integrate the ideas and processes in new ways to
      > deal with your current situation.

      Yes, I do agree. And at the same time one does need to start
      /somewhere/, inside the "safe region" for learning before you die.
      Scrum purports to define part of the safe region.

      > Creating new concepts should be encouraged. We should all be
      > challenging the status quo and pushing for better ways to do
      > things. Isn't that how agile got started? Why stop now?

      Agile got started based on the combined experience of a large number
      of people who had observed a large number of teams for a large
      number of years. It is possible that those people knew rather a lot.
      It is also possible that teams starting out to do this stuff are not
      yet qualified to make decisions about what to do and what not to do.

      Show me the features!
    • Show all 89 messages in this topic