51286Re: [scrumdevelopment] Release management in Scrum

    May 17 3:44 AM
      Hello, Sharmila. On Monday, May 16, 2011, at 10:42:10 PM, you
      wrote:

      > Since there is back to back release, we come to a dead lock
      > situation wherein we have spillovers and support for earlier release.
      > The senior developer is always working on support and
      > consultation for spill-overs. And when we start with the next
      > release, release plan for the new work is always postponed as
      > analysis is not done and release cannot be planned. So release
      > planning for new release happens only mid-way after completing spillovers.
      >
      > How do we solve this deadlock¬Ö.

      You have a few options right now. Some are:

      Proceed to estimate without the senior dev. Your other people
      probably know enough to estimate fairly well. They might even be a
      bit more conservative. Since you have "spillovers", it sounds like
      a little conservatism might be useful.

      Stop the support and get the senior dev involved. It shouldn't
      take more than a day to estimate the new release, so the world is
      not likely to end.

      Wait and get the estimates later. One good way to do that in Scrum
      style is just pick your delivery date and learn as you go along
      what to fit into that date.

      However, your situation suggests to me that there may be a few
      things left to learn in your execution of Scrum:

      Backlog grooming, every Sprint, should involve everyone and
      certainly the senior developer. In the final Sprints, you can
      shift the grooming to talking about features for the next release.
      The overhead doesn't change and you get information you need.

      Your definition of done may not be as robust as it could be,
      depending whether "spillovers" means defects.

      Your management of features to get the best possible product by
      the delivery date may need improvement, depending whether
      "spillovers" means features we absolutely need but that somehow we
      didn't put in before the date.

      Your situation can be handled now in only a few different ways. The
      fact that you are in the situation suggests that the team has some
      learning to do, and some improvement to gain in execution.

      Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future. -- Niels Bohr
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic