50978Re: Starting out - research, learning, preparation or real user stories?

  • Steve
    Apr 28, 2011
      Hello Artem

      A couple of points:

      Does your R&D have to be paid for out of the 'project' budget? Seems to me that your team will be gaining expertise that is valid beyond the scope of the immediate project and would ideally be paid for out of a general development budget; that is if one exists.

      However, how ever it is paid for, that is obviously a time implication; is the PO looking for an early release date that with R&D time would make getting a viable release impossible?

      Can you not do what is required with current skills?

      OK, so you have decided that R&D is a goer (the PO agrees); in Scrum many would call this time 'Sprint 0', a special type of Sprint that does not deliver a potentially releasable part solution.

      You can use PBI but the PO does not prioritise them, the Team does or you can jsut use a Sprint Backlog with the Team decided R&D tasks; I have to say that I prefer the latter, keeps the PB consistent with 'proper' Stories.

      A thought about if the R&D can be paid for by 'someone' other than the business project, you could set up a completely seperate project to do the R&D before you begining the business project.

      Hope that is of some help

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "a.bobrovskiy" <a.bobrovskij@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Scrum Community!
      >
      > We are just starting out a new project with a new team. Our challenge is that we need to build a complex JavaScript-based user-friendly interactive drag-n-drop kind of an application. We really do not have good experience building that complex applications in JavaScript.
      >
      > As a tech lead, I want to take some time for research and experimentation with various frameworks and libraries, doing some toy-projects on various frameworks and approaches. In this case I can create product backlog items for each research or experiment goal and supply it to the product owner with an explanation that these items should be highest priority because we need it. Is this the way it is usually done? Or may be scrum teams do it differently?
      >
      > Thank you for any help!
      >
      > Artem B.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic