50973Re: Starting out - research, learning, preparation or real user stories?

  • Koti Reddy
    Apr 28, 2011
      Hi Artem,

      In your case you can spend some time in researching the best possibilities for you as you have mentioned. Also as you mentioned having a plan for each research on different framework make sense and you can claim each one as a story point.

      Also i suggest you can call all those sprints as "Research Sprints " or "non functional sprints" till you conclude which one to actually implement in actual feature delivery sprints. Why i am calling them as Research Sprints or non functional sprints is we are not actually shipping them to the end user but required as part of your work. The credit and accountability everything can be claimed for those sprints as well but different naming conventions for the easiness of the stakeholders.

      The above comments are truly from experience and understanding of scrum process. If anyone has different opinions, please go ahead and provide more inputs on top of this so that we all can mutually beneficial.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "a.bobrovskiy" <a.bobrovskij@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Scrum Community!
      >
      > We are just starting out a new project with a new team. Our challenge is that we need to build a complex JavaScript-based user-friendly interactive drag-n-drop kind of an application. We really do not have good experience building that complex applications in JavaScript.
      >
      > As a tech lead, I want to take some time for research and experimentation with various frameworks and libraries, doing some toy-projects on various frameworks and approaches. In this case I can create product backlog items for each research or experiment goal and supply it to the product owner with an explanation that these items should be highest priority because we need it. Is this the way it is usually done? Or may be scrum teams do it differently?
      >
      > Thank you for any help!
      >
      > Artem B.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic