50475Re: Deviating from Scrum: The standup meeting

  • peterskeide
    Mar 3, 2011
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Chuck B <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      > > I'd say a format that is chosen by the team to give them value is a good
      > > fit.
      >
      > > - George
      >
      > George/Peter,
      >
      > I don't know about this. What if the team chooses the "no standup" format?
      > What if they choose to just say what they are working on and that's it? I just
      > don't know about entrusting the team to choose whatever format they want,
      > especially not a team that is well versed in Scrum. You did say "chosen by the
      > team to give them value " Who determines whether the format gives them value or
      > not?

      I interpreted the above as "the team uses standup meetings, but modified". I agree with you about teams that do not know Scrum well. For my current team, I made sure we ran several sprints as close to Scrum as we could manage before opening up for change. The standup was at that point a recurring theme in the retrospective meetings. We have not dropped or modified the other artifacts/ceremonies/roles.

      > The Daily Scrum is not a status meeting. It is not for anyone but the
      > people transforming the Product Backlog items into an increment (the
      > Team). The Team has committed to a Sprint Goal, and to these
      > Product Backlog items. The Daily Scrum is an inspection of the
      > progress toward that Sprint Goal (the three questions). Follow-on
      > meetings usually occur to make adaptations to the upcoming work in
      > the Sprint. The intent is to optimize the probability that the Team will
      > meet its Goal. This is a key inspect and adapt meeting in the Scrum
      > empirical process. "
      >

      > Note that last sentence. (Mostly to Peter)I'd be VERY wary of removing the
      > Daily Scrum since it's a "...key inspect and adapt meeting..."

      I'm definitely wary of removing it, but I'm also wary of disregarding context. On my previous project I worked for a customer where we as a team agreed to drop the standup meeting after a couple of sprints. We were a small team of 4 (colocated). We delivered a solid product on time and budget to a happy customer and with very little technical debt. We did it, by and large, without standup meetings.

      > -------
      > Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      > Experienced Scrum Coach
      > My blog: http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/