50467Re: Technical Debt Measurement

  • Matthew
    Mar 3 12:17 PM
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Geetha Anand <reachgeethaanand@...> wrote:

      > HI,
      >
      > I would like to know how Technical Debt is usually measured and reported
      > and how it is used.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Geetha

      There are a bunch of measurements for code: Cyclomatic Complexity, CrapForJ, etc.

      That said, overall, I am more interested in /qualitative assessment/ over /quantiative/.

      In other words, I'm more interested in the story over some number.

      The first book is out in this field - "Managing Software Debt" by Chris Sterling; I did an interview with him last week:

      http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1684785

      I would be /*VERY*/ reluctant to reduce something as complex as tech debt to a single number, or even a balanced scorecard.

      For a longer discussion about using measurements in software, please allow me to recommend "Software Engineering Metrics: What do they measure and how do we know?"

      http://www.kaner.com/pdfs/metrics2004.pdf

      regards,