50455Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Deviating from Scrum: The standup meeting

    Mar 2, 2011

      peterskeide,

      I think I understand now more why your team wants to ditch the Daily Scrum.  The Scrum Guide says that Scrum is for teams of 5-9 developers.  I count about 3.5 on your team.  This *may* be an example of where the process overhead of a Daily Scrum is worthwhile for a team of 5-9 devs, but may not be worthwhile for a team of 3.5.

      So, before we continue let's realize that we're operating outside of the recommended boundaries for Scrum, which may be some of the source of your pain.  You may also experience other similar pains with other Scrum ceremony/rules for this reason as well.

      Does your PO attend the Daily Scrum?  I think it's generally a good practice. (Technically the PO would be attending as a Chicken, though, so while they would not be be allowed to talk in the meeting, they would certainly be allowed to follup with dev team members just after the meeting)  If your PO has other duties and is located in a different room, I think they might benefit from the Daily Scrum, and in turn, the team would benefit.

      Another thing most of my teams do right after the Daily Scrum is analyze the burndown a bit for possible scoping/workload issues.  I generally coach them to use an "ideal (capacity=hrs capacity remaining) line", and we generally don't worry too much about a burndown number (hrs work remaining) that is within 20% of the ideal(capacity) number until the last 3 days of the (2 week)sprint or so.  During the last 3 days, we generally always had a discussion(again, just after the Scrum) like "Do we need to take any action now that will help us have a more successful end of sprint?"  Sometimes people would identify the burndown numbers as an obstacle in the Scrum, sometimes we wouldn't really notice or discuss until after the Scrum.

      Technically, though, the person who ensures that the Daily Scrum happens is the ScrumMaster.  So, since the SM, "owns the process", the SM can mandate the Daily Scrum regardless of what the team says.  That may not be a fun position to be in, but it's justified IMO.  I'd hope the SM would focus more on improving the Daily Scrum(like you are) than having to mandate it.

      -------
      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      Experienced Scrum Coach