50452Re: Deviating from Scrum: The standup meeting

  • peterskeide
    Mar 2, 2011

      > Peter,
      >
      > On 3/2/11 9:05 AM, peterskeide wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >

      > > During the last couple of years I have been a member of several small
      > > teams (3-4 people) that have started out using Scrum or some
      > > variation. After a while, I started noticing a trend: The teammembers
      > > see little or no value in the daily scrum meeting. Sometimes the team
      > > decides to drop it.
      >
      > Have you done a root cause analysis on why the team receives no value
      > from the daily standup?

      We have talked about it at length at retrospective meetings, and also during each sprint. Basically, people feel they know what every other team member did yesterday, and what they will do today (as a result of working colocated and also cooperating on many of the stories). Impediments are a different matter, but I do try to ferret those out as soon as possible, rather than having people "save up" for the standup.

      I have suggested to the team that they should lower their barrier for reporting impediments in general. E.g someone not being able to make any progress on a user story for a couple of hours should be raised as an impediment immediately, so that the whole team can pitch in if required. It's hard to make this stick though. People often thrive on the satisfaction of solving problems by themselves, and can be reluctant to ask for help. That said, my current team has made great progress in this area. Practices like pair programming is used at lot more now than when we started out.

      > A common situation I've seen is that the "team" isn't a team at all, but
      > a group of people working individually on things that happen to be
      > lumped together into the same time charge code. Of course, there are
      > many other possibilities.

      I see what you mean. I won't say that we are a collaborating team yet. Cooperating team is more like it (don't quite 'gel' yet'), but I don't think that is quite the problem here. The sprints have a common goal everone is working towards. No "ownership" of backlog issues etc.

      > I wonder about such a small team not being able to afford 5 minutes or
      > less per day to synchronize with each other. Why is that?

      Oh, it is easily afforded. It's just that they don't see the point. 5 minutes x enough number of times of doing something you don't quite see the value of will eventually become a nuisance.

      > [snip]
      > > Any thoughts about this? Similar experiences? Anybody know a format
      > > for the standup meeting that is a good fit for a small team?
      >
      > I'd say a format that is chosen by the team to give them value is a good
      > fit.

      There's no arguing that :-)