50449Re: [scrumdevelopment] Deviating from Scrum: The standup meeting

  • George Dinwiddie
    Mar 2, 2011
      Peter,

      On 3/2/11 9:05 AM, peterskeide wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >

      > During the last couple of years I have been a member of several small
      > teams (3-4 people) that have started out using Scrum or some
      > variation. After a while, I started noticing a trend: The teammembers
      > see little or no value in the daily scrum meeting. Sometimes the team
      > decides to drop it.

      Have you done a root cause analysis on why the team receives no value
      from the daily standup?

      A common situation I've seen is that the "team" isn't a team at all, but
      a group of people working individually on things that happen to be
      lumped together into the same time charge code. Of course, there are
      many other possibilities.

      I wonder about such a small team not being able to afford 5 minutes or
      less per day to synchronize with each other. Why is that?

      [snip]
      > Any thoughts about this? Similar experiences? Anybody know a format
      > for the standup meeting that is a good fit for a small team?

      I'd say a format that is chosen by the team to give them value is a good
      fit.

      - George