50250Re: [scrumdevelopment] Break from sprinting - a strategy sprint

    Feb 3, 2011
      bennyou,

      I tend to favor such practices, though I prefer they be done incrementally, and pretty much continuously.

      Similar concepts:
      1.  Google's 20% time
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/jobs/21pre.html

      2.The P/PC balance from the "7 Habits" literature
      http://www.refresher.com/!habits.html >

      The balance of "production" and "production capability"

      The Seven Habits are habits of effectiveness. Effectiveness lies in the balance of production of desired results, and the production capability to achieve those desired results; what the author describes as the principle of "P/PC Balance".  Correctly maintaining this balance is often a difficult judgment call; however, failure to do so will jeopardize either one or the other, or both of the elements in the ratio with varying degrees of personal and/or organizational dis-harmony.  An example that comes to mind would be the running down of an organization's human and/or physical assets (production capability) to inflate earnings per share (production) in the short term.

      </snip >

      3.  Slack Time
      http://www.tdan.com/view-book-reviews/5591

      I think all of these concepts apply directly to software development, Scrum, and specifically the [Scrum] Development Team's right and responsibility to self organize.

      -------
      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      Experienced Scrum Coach