50232Re: [scrumdevelopment] Refactoring type work in Scrum

  • Adam Sroka
    Feb 2, 2011
      On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM
      I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:
      > Some good points Adam.  We view frameworks a bit differently(but not too much), but that's not the point of this discussion, and I certainly don't want to get sidetracked on that.  lol.
      > > Why should the customer pay for a poor technical decision you made somewhere up the line?
      > In the scenario I described, I made it clear that one can assume it was a good technical decision.

      I think one must assume that it is a poor technical decision given
      that you had to completely reverse it in the midst of development.

      If you had used a crystal ball to see where you were going you would
      have only chosen the latter framework. Most framework builders assume
      that you have such a crystal ball, in part because they thought they
      were using one to write the framework.

      > I'm not asking anyone to accept a poor technical decision, and I'm also not thinking that the PO is the best authority on whether a technical decision is poor or not.  I do think, though, they are the best authority in Scrum on whether a Product Backlog item provides the intended value or not.

      He must be the authority on what has value per se. That is what
      "Product Owner" means in Scrum. In practice, however, he needs to have
      a lot of conversations to validate these decisions.

      He doesn't care about technical decisions and I did not intend to
      imply that he did. He should be judging what you present him based on
      the value to the customers/users. Technical decisions are meaningless
      in this context.

      He does, however, care about cost. Which means that if you estimate a
      big cost for a small value based on some technical thing the most
      reasonable thing for him to do is de-prioritize it accordingly.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic