50206RE: [scrumdevelopment] Break from sprinting - a strategy sprint

  • Roy Morien
    Feb 1, 2011
      This is a strange question ... content fatigue ... delivering sprint in and sprint out ...lose sight of the bigger picture architecturally.

      First, I would wonder if the team ever had a Vision Phase, where the worth and value of the project was made clear. And if things have changed so much since then that a new vision needs to be created.

      I ask myself 'What is this 'architecture' that is being lost sight of?'.

      And what is this 'fatigue'? Is the team being pressured and stressed for various reasons? Are they being denied their good and proper leisure time by being required to work excessive overtime or weekends? Or is the team just somehow fed up with it all, for whatever reason?

      Somehow this posting also reminded me of an article I read recently, about the FBI's Sentinel project ... a train on its way to a wreck.
      http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/enterprise-apps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224400547

      Mueller chalked the problems up partially to the project's long development time. " When you have a project that was laid down in concrete four or five years ago, [with] technology changes, business practice changes, and complexity changes, one can expect some minor delays," he said.

      Bold highlighting are mine.

      Also, just for fun, have a look at some other articles about the same ball game.
      http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/report-questions-fbis-ability-implement-agile-development-sentinel/2010-12-05
      http://adtmag.com/articles/2011/01/10/problems-with-fbi-approach-to-agile.aspxx

      Is this the sort of thing that has happened to you, bennyou?

      Or maybe you just need a few team activities like Saturday afternoon in the park, frisbee competition, barbeque, beer provided, bring the kids ... let's have some fun ... and please wear the new team project T-Shirt that we just gave you.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: bennyou.cpt@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:16:42 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Break from sprinting - a strategy sprint

      Hi,

      I would like to get the communities opinion on the following:
      Assuming that after implementing Scrum the team becomes self-managing and becomes hyper productive and all that good stuff.

      Delivering sprint in and sprint out can almost cause content fatigue. The team becomes so engaged in developing on the same project or product that they sometimes lose site of the bigger picture architecturally.

      Has anyone else ever tried or considered breaking in between a long set of sprints and just regrouping with some sort of strat sprint?

      What is the communities thoughts on this?

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic