      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: lists@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:46:03 -0500
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scheduling Defect Fixes

      Charles,

      On 1/31/11 12:55 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach, CSM, PSM I wrote:
      > I'm curious though.
      > > If you wish to estimate how long they will take to fix, feel free
      > > to do so.
      > No mention of adding defect fixing to your velocity calculation? Even to
      > mention that the practice is controversial? Maybe you were going for a
      > "basic" or "high level" description of the solution.
      >
      > To the OP(the one who asked about scheduling bugs into Scrum), my
      > comment is this: Be careful about adding your defect fixing estimates to
      > velocity(which is a User Story concept). That practice is controversial,
      > and the main risk is that you do not want to decrease transparency by
      > lumping material amounts of "defect fixing efforts" in with "new
      > functionality efforts that add value to the system." The best solution,
      > as Ron mentions, is probably to reduce defects to such a small rate that
      > there is no material amount of defect fixing time. There are other
      > solutions, but they get down "into the weeds" in Scrum and User Story
      > philosophy.

      Yes. The way I express it is that velocity is roughly the team's
      capacity to accomplish work within a Sprint. If you've estimated the
      work to fix defects, you should /subtract/ that from the available
      capacity. And always remember that the goal is to produce working
      software, not to "get credit" for story points.

      - George