49899Re: Having the Product Owner in team Estimation Meetings

  • alex.armstrong
    Jan 20, 2011
      Lang,

      Ron is absolutely correct. Your last two scenarios are similar examples of the PO using an estimate to validate understanding, not influence the estimate. It may seem like splitting hairs, but it is an important distinction.

      The PO is making sure there is a common understanding of the story, and increasing or decreasing the scope accordingly based on the estimation. The estimate for the work needed is up to the people delivering the increment.

      Best,
      Alex

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "langvtran" <langvtran@...> wrote:

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "daswartz@" <daswartz@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Ron,
      > >
      > > Thursday, January 20, 2011, 7:18:32 AM, you wrote:

      > the
      > marketable
      > her
      > is
      > team
      > there
      >
      > > > In the scenario you describe, I would not say that the PO is
      > > > influencing estimates. She is using estimates to change what she
      > > > asks for, to make what she asks for smaller.
      > >
      > > > She's not saying "do that faster or cheaper". She's saying "oh,
      > > > that's expensive, how about if we did this instead?"
      > >
      > > And that is a VERY good thing... And one of the best reasons to have
      > > the Product Owner in the meeting.
      >
      > I actually meant the them as two separate scenarios, sorry if that
      > wasn't clear. In the first scenario, it's definitely true she was using
      > the estimates to adjust the ask. My second scenario is a case where the
      > PO and team didn't reach the same understanding of a story and only
      > realized this after the estimates were given. Another scenario could be
      > the PO thinks the team underestimated and realized she didn't cover all
      > the wanted functionality. Morale of the story, PO should be at the
      > meeting.
      > Lang

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic