49895Re: Having the Product Owner in team Estimation Meetings

  • langvtran
    Jan 20, 2011
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "daswartz@..." <daswartz@...> wrote:

      > Hello Ron,
      >
      > Thursday, January 20, 2011, 7:18:32 AM, you wrote:
      >
      > > Hello, langvtran. On Thursday, January 20, 2011, at 8:01:58 AM,
      > > you wrote:
      >
      > >> What is the correct role for the PO to play here?
      > >> I'd like to disagree on the view that PO's should not influence the
      > >> estimates of the team. I believe the PO does and should influence the
      > >> estimates of the team. The goal is to ensure that minimal marketable
      > >> feature are being delivered first. She can do this by listening to her
      > >> team and then fine tuning the acceptance criteria. Another example is
      > >> when an estimate seems "off", she should ask why. It could be the team
      > >> was thinking of building something more complex than she needs. Or there
      > >> could a very valid reason that she didn't realize before.

      > > In the scenario you describe, I would not say that the PO is
      > > influencing estimates. She is using estimates to change what she
      > > asks for, to make what she asks for smaller.
      >
      > > She's not saying "do that faster or cheaper". She's saying "oh,
      > > that's expensive, how about if we did this instead?"
      >
      > And that is a VERY good thing... And one of the best reasons to have
      > the Product Owner in the meeting.

      I actually meant the them as two separate scenarios, sorry if that wasn't clear. In the first scenario, it's definitely true she was using the estimates to adjust the ask. My second scenario is a case where the PO and team didn't reach the same understanding of a story and only realized this after the estimates were given. Another scenario could be the PO thinks the team underestimated and realized she didn't cover all the wanted functionality. Morale of the story, PO should be at the meeting.

      Lang
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic