49891Re: Having the Product Owner in team Estimation Meetings

  • langvtran
    Jan 20, 2011
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach, CSM, PSM I" <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      > > Incidentally I am of the opinion that more participation in all areas and
      > >aspects of Scrum by the product owner is a good thing!
      >
      > ++1, so long as the PO only plays the (correct) PO role in that situation.
      >
      > cb

      What is the correct role for the PO to play here?

      I'd like to disagree on the view that PO's should not influence the estimates of the team. I believe the PO does and should influence the estimates of the team. The goal is to ensure that minimal marketable feature are being delivered first. She can do this by listening to her team and then fine tuning the acceptance criteria. Another example is when an estimate seems "off", she should ask why. It could be the team was thinking of building something more complex than she needs. Or there could a very valid reason that she didn't realize before.

      This should be in a team context and not command-and-control. The PO does not get final say on estimates but should be allowed her input. If the PO can convince the team to decrease their estimate, so be it. If the team cannot complete the story that sprint because it was bigger than expected, it would be a good topic for the retrospective.

      Lang
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic