49713Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ORIGINAL POST Using points/velocity for productivity measure

  • srinivas chillara
    Jan 5, 2011
      Rreplying to original query:

      Salil,
      You should explain in as many different ways as you can think, that:

      1. Story points are a relative size measure within a given product backlog. Team A's story point is not equal to team B's story point. Therefore direct comparisions (across tems) are almost surely going to be meaningless and harmful.

      2. What the management should also understand (this could take months, people are often not very bright) is that they can't get thiscomparitive information reliabily as well as easily. Something like Heisenberg's uncertainity principle. If comparitive information is easy to get, it is not going to be reliable. NB: Comparing story points (or Velocity) across teams is easy.

      3. They should if at all use a fixed size measure like function points (FP) retrospectively and compare productivity over a period of say six months. However again it is dangerous to assess productivity in this manner to use it as a proxy for proficiency of the team. The same person has different productivity (even within a month) depending on environmental factors outside his/her control. So while this information is useful (that teamA's prodcutivity is higher that teamB's), what one does with this information is very important, and the watchword is "CAUTION".

      Would be happy to discuss this is greater length, should you wish.

      cheers
      Srinivas
      www.scrumcoach.co.in