49709Re: [scrumdevelopment] Using points/velocity for productivity measure

  • George Dinwiddie
    Jan 5, 2011
      Salil,

      On 1/5/11 6:47 PM, Salil Prasad wrote:

      > I am having difficulty in challenging the management mindset that
      > comparing points and velocity across multiple teams should not be
      > measure of productivity. Can someone points me to resources where it
      > articulates clearly why this is a wrong notion and what are its pitfalls.

      The original blog posting is lost, but you can find this quote from Dave
      Nicolette on InfoQ
      (http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/02/comparing-velocity-across-teams):

      "How many Elephant Points are there in the veldt? Let's conduct a poll
      of the herds. Herd A reports 50,000 kg. Herd B report 84 legs. Herd C
      reports 92,000 lb. Herd D reports 24 head. Herd E reports 546 elephant
      sounds per day. Herd F reports elephant skin rgb values of (192, 192,
      192). Herd G reports an average height of 11 ft. So, there are 50,000 +
      84 + 92,000 + 24 + 546 + 192 + 11 = 142,857 Elephant Points in the
      veldt. The average herd has 20,408.142857143 Elephant Points. We know
      this is a useful number because there is a decimal point in it."

      - George