      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: lists@...
      Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:52:15 -0500
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Using points/velocity for productivity measure

      Simplest way is a though experiment. Tomorrow, my team is going to indulge in point inflation. What we called a 12 point story yesterday, we'll start calling a 15 point story next week.

      By the end of the year, assuming all the teams play the same game:
      (i) Velocity will have increased *substantially* in all teams - possibly by a factor of 10x, 100x or even 100,000 times
      (ii) You will have written no more software than you would have if we hadn't started playing the game - probably less
      (iii) You'll have lost velocity as a meaningful measurement (because we're inflating points every sprint) so you'll have lost what visibility you had in terms of when projects were likely to be delivered

      Best Wishes,

      On Jan 5, 2011, at 6:47 PM, Salil Prasad wrote:

      I am having difficulty in challenging the management mindset that comparing points and velocity across multiple teams should not be measure of productivity. Can someone points me to resources where it articulates clearly why this is a wrong notion and what are its pitfalls.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic