      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: mvenkatesh_kumar@...
      Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:40:41 +0530
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Difficulties in convincing the management to follow scrum as the framework

      The management I was talking about is my Director of Engineering who is responsible for directing us in software development. We are product based company developing a product in a particular domain. He is specialized in our domain and the development. He is the one who choose the sprint backlog items from product backlog but he does not know anything about Scrum. He is not interested in changing the current methodology (Regular SDLC model).

      But I, as a lead I am interested in doing with scrum. I have knowledge on scrum. I am handling and managing the development team. Hope I explained my development environment situation.

      Regards,
      Venkatesh

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: roymorien@...
      Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 05:26:38 +0000

      I would ask the question How much does the management dictate to you how you will develop systems? Also, exactly which management are you talking about? If you are talking about the IT Manager, or the CIO  with line management authority, and they are telling you how you MUST do it, then, Yes, you have a problem. It is unlikely that you can persuade them, and you must do it as they tell you to do it.

      But, if that 'management' is not directly responsible for system development, and have no particular authority to tell you how to behave, then do you still have a problem? Is it possible for you to change the way you develop, and then just present them with the outcomes, on a regular and frequent basis. I am sure that they would be a little surprised and puzzled at your change of tactics, but my experience is that the 'users' start to appreciate the early and frequent delivery. But you must be careful to let them know that this is an increment only, and not your version of the full system. In this case, you would start to get a lot of negative comments about how 'the system' (or 'your system') falls short of requirements. Users definitely start to appreciate the frequent opportunity to view actual progress, and to feed changes back into the development activity.

      So, in short, if you can, just do it, as suggested by Venkatesh.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: mvenkatesh_kumar@...
      Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 10:31:32 +0530

      Thanks Rafael. You have explained about the same situation currently I am facing.

      I think I should try implementing agile methodology without our managers knowing. Then I would show the difference in the delivery. That seems to be a good idea to handle these kind of people.

      Thanks to all who responded to this thread.

      Thanks,
      Venkatesh

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: theropas@...
      Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:35:27 -0600

      Hi Rafael,

      It looks like you did a pretty darned good job moving to agile even without the managers' approval.  I worry a lot about an organization that needs to resort to "hidden baby steps" and other well intentioned dishonesties though.  I think you will find that your management team has much bigger issues than unwillingness to move to Agile, and they will find a way to self destruct, or at least to hamper a lot of the good progress you have made.

      Good luck,

      Steve
      Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 8:44 AM

      Yes, it was very nice to implement!
      The results and our problems was just showing up as we were working.

      The managers just wondered that Agile was something very different from what it really is...

      Brian said to involve the managers... in my case, they really didn't want to get involved... they just put all the work in our lap and want it done ASAP. We used to do a meeting when he had time, but it wasn't something regular. Sometimes we haven't had a meeting for 3-4 weeks to prioritize the work to do. After some changes, we used to have a meeting at least once a week. Our sprints were 1 week long.

      It's better when you can talk to your managers and migrate to Agile with their approval, but sometimes we don't have it.
      Then we need to work on a different approach. "Hidden baby steps" is a good one :)

      Att.

      Rafael Fuchs
      --
      rafaelfuchs@...
      +55 51 9993-8953

      On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:26, Heitor Roriz Filho <hroriz@...> wrote:

      Hi Rafael,

      nice sharing of thoughts! Baby steps in the implementation.

      Heitor

      On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Rafael Fuchs <rafaelfuchs@...> wrote:

      Hi Venkatesh

      I had a very similar problem in the company I was working on last year.
      All development team wanted to migrate to Agile, but the higher managers thought it was not good to do it.

      We were decided to change our process, no matter the opinion of others. This was risky, but we really wanted to do it.

      So we began doing little changes, one at a time... This way, the managers couldn't notice the changes. The set of changes we have implemented took about 4 months of work. When the managers ask something about it, we said it's something new to improve our work. We never said it was related to Agile.

      After a few months, we said to them "Look! Our is better now, don't you think? Welcome to Agile!".

      Some managers don't like to make changes... if you make the changes and show better results, they won't have arguments against it.
      It's risky to do something against their intentions, but you have authority to do something like this, it will be good.

      Att.

      Rafael Fuchs
      --
      rafaelfuchs@...
      +55 51 9993-8953
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/rafaelfuchs

      On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 07:05, Venkatesh Kumar Mallingarajan <mvenkatesh_kumar@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      I face difficulties in convincing my management to follow agile methodology using scrum.

      To be more detail. For the past years our company follows a kind of agile methodology which is not a complete agile. Also not successful in completing the project plan as there are lot of customer issues that has to be addressed immediately on that day.

      Since I completed Scrum Master training recently I tried to explain my Director about the framework. But management is not in a position to hear about the new changes.

      I would like to seek help from you guys how you all started the new changes in your career. Any suggestions are welcome. Please share your experience for me.

      Thanks in advance.

      Thanks & Regards
      Venkatesh

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic