48793Re: Diminishing ROI with NO Automation in Agile development

  • Don MacIntyre
    Oct 5, 2010
      I describe the need for the adoption of automated testing and other XP practices to new Scrum teams something like this...

      If you don't adopt the practices that are best suited for iterative development, you may experience an initial burst in productivity, but you will likely soon discover that you are just building crap faster than you were before.

      I feel that continuous integration and automated testing are necessary for iterative development.

      You can do typical unit testing and have your CI system kick off other automated suites (we currently use selenium) but the biggest bang for the buck is Test Driven Development.

      My current teams have been slow to totally embrace TDD, so I'm making a real push now with weekly how-to sessions. One of the guys will also spend the next 3 days at Ron and Chet's Agile Skills class. Hopefully that will be enough to drive it home. ;)

      -don
      http://www.scrumalliance.org/profiles/26043-don-macintyre

      > Hello, Adam. On Monday, October 4, 2010, at 2:46:42 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > >> It does
      > >> mean, however, that if a team is new to automated testing, almost
      > >> every test they are not doing probably should be automated, because
      > >> they will be so far behind that they are likely not doing very much
      > >> really good testing.
      > >>

      > > I had to read this sentence several times to make sure I parsed it
      > > correctly. I'll say what I think you mean, and then you can correct me
      > > ;-)
      >
      > > I think you are saying that any test that is not being done manually
      > > should be automated, because otherwise there will be too many tests
      > > that are not getting done. Is that right?
      >
      > Let me try.
      >
      > If your team is new to automated testing, it is likely that most
      > every test you are now doing should be automated. The reason is that
      > if you are testing manually, you are probably doing very few tests
      > that only a human can do.
      >
      > So my advice would be to err on the side of over-automating for a
      > while.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > www.xprogramming.com/blog
      > [S]oftware engineering ... "How to program if you cannot." -- Edsger Dijkstra

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic