48789Re: [scrumdevelopment] Diminishing ROI with NO Automation in Agile development

    Oct 4, 2010
      Hello, Adam. On Monday, October 4, 2010, at 2:46:42 PM, you wrote:

      >> It does
      >> mean, however, that if a team is new to automated testing, almost
      >> every test they are not doing probably should be automated, because
      >> they will be so far behind that they are likely not doing very much
      >> really good testing.
      >>

      > I had to read this sentence several times to make sure I parsed it
      > correctly. I'll say what I think you mean, and then you can correct me
      > ;-)

      > I think you are saying that any test that is not being done manually
      > should be automated, because otherwise there will be too many tests
      > that are not getting done. Is that right?

      Let me try.

      If your team is new to automated testing, it is likely that most
      every test you are now doing should be automated. The reason is that
      if you are testing manually, you are probably doing very few tests
      that only a human can do.

      So my advice would be to err on the side of over-automating for a
      while.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      [S]oftware engineering ... "How to program if you cannot." -- Edsger Dijkstra
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic