48775Re: [scrumdevelopment] Diminishing ROI with NO Automation in Agile development

    Oct 4, 2010
      Hello, Hiren. On Monday, October 4, 2010, at 3:26:32 AM, you
      wrote:

      > No matter what is the reasoning, I always preach to these teams,
      > "Automation is a rule and not an exception"

      It's not a rule. Rules do not work in governing human behavior.

      We automate tests for these reasons:

      1. Test automation provides faster feedback. If a developer has
      an automated test for some feature, he knows whether it works or
      does not work according to the specification (namely the test).

      2. It prevents regressions. In a well-designed software system,
      changes to one module can affect many others: that's how
      modularity works. In a poorly-designed system, the impact of
      change is even less predictable. Automated tests give us a fast
      way to know whether we have broken something.

      3. It saves time. The system needs lots of testing, and repetitive
      testing. Doing it with humans slows us down.

      4. It prevents mistakes. If we test with humans, we will have to
      decide which tests not to do. Often, we will decide incorrectly,
      letting critical errors slip in. Often, humans even make mistakes
      in the tests that they perform, again letting errors slip in.

      Automated testing is not a rule. It is a powerful practice that lets
      the team go faster with far fewer errors.

      This does not mean that every test should be automated. It does
      mean, however, that if a team is new to automated testing, almost
      every test they are not doing probably should be automated, because
      they will be so far behind that they are likely not doing very much
      really good testing.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one.
      -- John Maxwell
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic