48059Re: Thoughts on use of explicit Agile Modeling vs "emergent design"

  • barrettdab
    Aug 19, 2010
      Petri,

      Not to put too fine a point on it, but what you said was, "Yes, indeed, who have the sufficient skill and understanding to cut through
      unnecessary details, look at the very core of things, identify the first things to try sensibly and have the skills to evolve the architecture as they develop the system."

      There's nothing specifically Agile in any of that. That's just plain, old-fashioned critical thinking. Vital for programmers of any ilk and, yes, vital for Agile practitioners too.

      My point was that good programmers have those skills already, and there's no reason to believe that they wouldn't apply them to implementing Agile.

      Dave

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "petriheiramo" <petri.heiramo@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dave,
      >

      > > I have yet to meet a developer that has "sufficient skill and
      > > understanding" to actually build good, working systems that doesn't have
      > > "sufficient skill and understanding to cut through unnecessary details,
      > > look at the very core of things" and act sensibly. If only you'll let
      > > them.
      >
      > By "sufficient skill and understanding" I was referring more to their Agile practices skills, not domain or technology skills. I've seen lots of people who are very good at the latter, but virtually lack the former. Yes, they can build the system, but they are very influenced by their past development practices. Of course, if they want to embrace Agile, they have the capacity to learn fast.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic