48031Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to have a conversation about Agile with the CFO?

  • John Goodsen
    Aug 18, 2010
      Lately, I've been borrowing more from Lean thinking than Scrum for the CxO conversations

      I like to feel them out if they understand the difference between cost and throughput accounting, first, and then understand which model they are using.  If it's the latter, you are on solid ground.  If it's the former, then you have more work ahead of you.

      The follow-on conversation is about the cost of WIP, the cost of Delay and the value of Limiting WIP to establish flow.  You might draw an ROI over Time chart that compares to traditional development showing short, frequent releases do not require as deep of an initial captial investment before you see a return.

      If that ROI chart description is not clear, I can post a picture of it.

      John

      On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM, <drc@...> wrote:

      I'm about to have a meeting with the CFO of the company where I'm supporting a scrum adoption.

      I'm curious what you think might be interesting or important questions or concerns to raise with her as part of that conversation?

      What has been your experience with making the advantages (and disadvantages) of scrum visible to the "C" level folks in your organization?

      Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts!

      -- David Chilcott
      Outformations, Inc.

      Keep Breathing.  Tell the Truth.  Be Fearless.  Choose Love.   Embrace the Mystery.
      Email: drc@...
      Voice: 510.655.7122
      Skype: DavidChilcott
      Twitter: DavidChilcott
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/DavidRChilcott
      LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/DavidChilcott
      Ask me about the Outformations Agile Enterprise JumpStart
      http://bit.ly/AgileJumpStart

      John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
      jgoodsen@...            Lean/Agile/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
      http://www.radsoft.com          Ruby on Rails and Java Solutions
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic