47518Re: [scrumdevelopment] Best scrum team award - good/bad?

  • Michael James
    Jul 7, 2010
      Here's one of the claims referenced by one of Pink's videos:

      • “In eight of the nine tasks we examined across the three experiments, higher incentives led to worse performance. In fact, we were surprised by the robustness of the effect;”
      • Dan Ariely, Uri Gneezy, George Loewenstein, and Nina Mazar (2005) “Large Stakes and Big Mistakes” Working Papers No. 5-011, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston

      People may remember Dan Ariely as author of _Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions_. I believe the task where incentives led to higher performance was asking people to type the letters "b" and "v" in rapid succession.

      --mj

      On Jul 7, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Ilja Preuß wrote:

      > That paper is actually supporting Pink's position, as it shows, as Pink says, that rewards and competition work *for tasks that don't need a lot of creativity*.
      >
      > Take care, Ilja
      >

      > 2010/6/30 Paul Tiseo <paul_tiseo@...>
      >

      > Mark:
      >
      > I totally understand and empathize with your disagreement with me, as I once thought similarly. But, personal experience and emerging research has shown me otherwise and I've always prized myself as being agile of mind, not just method.
      >
      > As for reference, I feel like I am alone in an echo chamber. Did you not participate in the June thread on raises and promotions? (Link in my last email if you need a refresher.) Did you not get the copy of the research paper PDF I sent you personally?
      >
      > I look forward to your blog piece.
      >

      > On 6/30/2010 11:48 AM, Mark Levison wrote:
      >>
      >> Thank you Paul - you've inspired me to write a blog post. A few points you've asserted on several of occasions that Dan Pink is wrong. Can you provide us with a reference to that effect? My experience and reading of the literature is that competition will destroy cooperation.
      >>

      >> Paul if you think otherwise baseline the teams in your business, run a competition and measure the results. I'm not going to risk running this experiment with my clients.
      >>
      >> Cheers
      >> Mark
      >
      > PAUL TISEO
      > paul_tiseo@...