47073Re: Prioritization of Stories in Business Productivity Automation

  • JackM
    Jun 2, 2010
      Risk does not have to be purely technical. There may be usability risk, stuff to do with layout etc. This is just one other risk that comes to mind. What about performance, cross browser related issues to for certain components etc.

      Important to do the things first that you can learn the most from. I am sure that the PO can do better than to choose just the order in which the process is invoked. But it's not wrong just might not be optimal

      Nice advice from the others.

      Jack
      blog.agilebuddy.com
      www.agilebuddy.com
      twitter.com/agilebuddy

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Stevens (calendar)" <peterstev@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tara,
      >
      > You have identified one way to think about the business process:
      > Considering it as a sequence of steps to be executed one after the
      > other. Is that the only way to think about it? Is it the best way?
      >
      > I once worked for a company which had a several processes to automate.
      > The first such project I worked on, the program was conceived to
      > implement its process step by step. This seemed logical at the time, but
      > it made the software extremely difficult to test or change, and equally
      > inflexible for the user.
      >
      > Later, I worked with two domain experts on the visioning of a similar
      > project. We found that if we took an objected-oriented approach, the
      > process became much simpler: The user would create a dossier, the former
      > steps in the process became operations on the dossier, and a new 'make
      > it so' operation (order) would complete the process. Once a dossier was
      > created, it could be completed. The steps in the middle became optional
      > (even though they remained important enough that most users in most
      > cases would apply them). This made it possible for the P-O to prioritize
      > the value of the operations, but also to add or remove alternatives in
      > repesonse to changing priorities, time pressures, user/customer demands etc.
      >
      > For example: Most airline ticketing processes are sequential: 1) enter
      > travel dates, number of passengers and departure and destination point
      > 2) find flights 3) select flights 4) decide to order, 6) identify
      > passengers 7) pay. What happens if your mother in law decides to join
      > you on the trip? You have to start over. Why not just add her to the
      > dossier? Why do you have to reenter the passenger data every time you
      > want to consider a new alternative?
      >
      > If you were going to apply the dossier approach to airline ticketing,
      > how would you do it? Which functions would you implement first? Maybe
      > create dossier, pay for flight. Once these are implemented, you can
      > potentially generate revenue. Next might be select alternative flights
      > by price or by schedule, add spouse and kids. Now the customers can
      > easily book the flight they want and bring the whole family. Probably
      > adding your mother-in-law after the rest of the family has already
      > booked a ticket won't be top on your priority list, but you may decide
      > it's important later (especially if she offers to babysit ;-) ). Of
      > course, this function will be competing with 'book rental car' and hotel
      > booking functions which might have more value...
      >
      > If you were going to apply this approach to your application, how would
      > you do it? What advantages and disadvantages would you have? Why are the
      > advantages more important (or why aren't they)?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > On 01.06.10 02:07, Tara Santmire wrote:
      > >
      > > Ron -- Thanks for taking the time to reply.
      > >
      > > On business value -- I think that the PO is taking the point of view
> [...]
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic