47068Re: [scrumdevelopment] Prioritization of Stories in Business Productivity Automation

  • Peter Stevens (cal)
    Jun 2, 2010
      On 01.06.10 20:30, Tara Santmire wrote:

      Peter  - Thanks for taking the time to reply.  The dossier approach is interesting and I will discuss with the team.  I wonder though how much it saves you given the object oriented nature of programming with today’s workflow engines.

      Hi Tara,

      Does it automatically follow from using object oriented tools that you get an object oriented UI? Hmm, I don't know the answer to that question. In our case it did not, but we were using Java, not an engine.

      In the second project, where I did the visioning work, we looked at the flow of an order from the first input from the customer to the final billing. A classical value flow diagram did not work for exactly the reasons you described: too much variability in the route and times for each step. So we extended the value flow diagram in to a four track diagram. Each track represented a major actor -- "us" (in quotes, becase 'we' means my customer), suppliers, customers, customers' customers -- and the x axis represented the sequence of events.

      This helped us identify where the process was complex, error prone and in need of optimization. We were also able to identify several points where 'we' had delivered value to the customer, but not yet earned revenue. When the final step came, it was clear why customers were saying no - they could do the last step themselves for less money than we could, because we were charging for the whole process in the last step. This led to some fundamental rethinking of the process, what's a service, what get's billed when, etc, so the business can be more effective.

      The dossier approach meant that the customer could do simple things quickly. Almost from the point of creation onward, a 'make it so' command, could cause the final order, but also individual value added steps can be performed (and potentially charged), repeatedly if necessary, until the dossier is in the desired state.

      Cheers,

      Peter

      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP